An experienced customer came to West Coast after already having landrover 110 overlander with a clean and original example of a Toyota 80 series. The sole intention for this project was to build a comfortable capable and above all reliable vehicle optomised for desert travel . Although a high spec was required we took great care not to over spec the job, keeping weight to a minimum to avoid having any impact on reliability.
We began by giving the vehicle a thorough inspection, a deep service and paid particular attention to the known weak spots of the 80 series that need addressing. The inspection told us the vehicle needed a rebuild of the front axle and through our experience of desert travel we added a big auto transmission cooler with dedicated electric fan to overcome overheating in deep sand. Once we had dealt with these initial issues the modifying/preparation could begin, we fitted;
- Externally Uprated ironman suspension with the final weight of the vehicle in mind.
- 6 Cooper STT 285/75/16 tyres on 8×16 steel, chosen for their weight carrying and hard wearing.
- An Ironman commercial winch bar along with a 12000lb ironman monster winch with synthetic rope.
- Rear bumper with twin swing out wheel carrier.
- An Extra 60 litre fuel tank was added under the rear.
- Fitted Viar air system with under slung tang. Ironman snorkel with pre cleaner.
- Magiolina roof top tent fitted on rhino rack roof bars with power supply for interior lighting.
We went on to convert the interior to a two seater, lined out in buffalo board, the rear most part of the load bay was fitted with a load restraint guard split level floor with wolf boxes fitted in on slides underneath the floor with larger boxes on top for lighter items. Behind the seats the floor is carried along so to be flat on top of which is a ARB 60 litre fridge and 50 litre fresh water tank with water purifier and pump fed to the rear. In the cab we have fitted a din size CB radio neatly under the stereo, a RAM mount fitted to the transmission tunnel to secure the tough book navigation system. Finally we installed an Ironman split charge system installed which powers all ancillary electrical items and a host of LED interior lights